Monday, March 7, 2011

LACMA

LACMA is a HUGE museum! I finally got down there on Saturday, March 5th. I went with my parents, little brother, and my uncle Joe. It got difficult to keep my little brother interested towards the end of the day. There was a lot of really cool stuff in each building. It was almost too much good stuff. When I was in the last few buildings I began to feel like I just wanted to go home. I wasn't studying all the pictures like I did in the beginning. It was still a cool experience though. I decided to spend my time focusing on the art that I wouldn't normally focus on. Instead of looking at the painting I tried to focus on the sort of weird, interesting art. I put a greater focus on the models and 3d art.
In the pavillion for Japanese art I found this picture of a tsunami/rocky waves. I thought it was a really cool picture and I loved the dark blue and the snowy volcano. I love the color blue and I love the snow. I thought it was interesting how this painting looked a lot like Japanese cartoons and yet this painting was drawn hundreds of years ago.
I found this in the Hammer building with the Chinese art. It's the eight Confucian principles in Chinese characters. The eight principles are: filial piety, brotherhood, loyalty, trust, propriety, righteousness, integrity, and sensibility.
In the Art of the America's building I saw this thing on the floor with tons of letters. It was cool because we could touch the letters and make our names or whatever so I decided to write my name. Except I couldn't find a k anywhere!! So I wrote Patrick in spanish, Patricio! Then I took a picture of it. I thought it was neat how anyone could create their own art from that piece.
In the contemporary art building there was lots of awesome stuff! The only piece I felt like I could relate with tho was this piece with these basketballs floating in water. I LOVE sports so I thought this was really cool. The basketballs were all signed by Dr. J.K. I wasn't sure who that was... I know Dr. J was Julius Erving who was a basketball player who played in the NBA during the 70's but is that who it was signed by? I still don't quite understand what defines art tho. A lot of stuff in that building was really cool to look and all but is it all art? For instance, the five colorful bars that were just laying against the wall. What makes those art? Or the basketballs floating in water, or the Corn Flakes boxes. I just thought those were all interesting choices to put in an art museum. While I walked through that building I also wondered why "modern" art looks like that. Who started that style? Why did the contemporary period start after World War 2 and why did it change?
There was a special exhibit about the history of fashion. I'm not really into "fashion" but I do love wearing suits. I was particularly interested in the old suits. Here are some of the cool ones that I saw. I probably wouldn't wear some of these but I just thought it was interesting how the style of suits has changed over the years.
There were some other cool pieces of art in the European art building. There was one piece that was just a mirror basically. I thought it was cool how that in itself was in the museum. There were some giant pool balls that were cool too.
Final Thoughts: I should have taken a lot more pictures with the exhibits but unfortunately I did not. I noticed that there were a lot of security guards but 80% (no joke) of them were texting or on their phones! The fail of the day award goes out to the men and women "protecting" the valuable art. I salute you!





Here are some of the pieces I liked:

"This is not a pipe."

No comments:

Post a Comment