Saturday, February 12, 2011

Venice Art Walls

I just have to start by saying that the Venice Art walls art project was the coolest art project i've ever done! How many art projects require tagging a wall? Anyways, I got down to Venice Beach at about four o'clock right when the sun was starting to come down. It was a perfect day to go down to Venice. I spent about 15 minutes trying out a few different art pieces. I'm no artist and often times i'm not even creative but I tried my best. After spending some time out there I started to understand why taggers do what they do. I can't say I approve of graffiti on billboards or personal property. However, under the right circumstances graffiti can be really awesome art. Thats why I think the Venice art walls are so awesome. They should have more of those in other cities in my opinion. That way people can express themselves in a controlled environment. I'll get off my soapbox now.



When I got to the art walls I was given a small wall. There was nobody around so I felt pretty comfortable trying out new stuff. Some of it looked kinda cool and some of it looked really bad. The first thing I drew was my first two initials with the number 23 next to it. Even though it wasn't very "artistic," I tried putting pieces of me into it. 23 has been my number in every sport i've ever played and the number seems to follow me around. I used blue and black which are two of my favorite colors (I couldn't find a green color of spray paint that I liked). After messing around for a little while I just walked around and admired the other artists' graffiti. As I looked around I envied the other artists' imagination and creativity. When I was standing there I did not know how to express myself. Perhaps one day my works will look similar to the other works of art along the bigger walls. I'll definetly go back there sometime soon so I can continue practicing. Here are some of the pictures of my work along with a few others that really caught my eye.









No comments:

Post a Comment