Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Progression of Art

I thought it was really interesting hearing about how art has changed over the centuries. One of the questions that came to my mind during class was, is it really impressive if someone models their work after another artist? Sure we can admire that artists great skill in all of their works but it is the Monet's of the art world who really capture our attention. Its so important for artists to try to separate themselves from ALL other artists. At least that's what I think. Who will remember the guys who copied other styles. Very few! That was Jackson Pollocks dilemma. I think the real reason that he had trouble separating himself from Picasso is that fact that his art is very similar to that of Picasso. How can you compete with the great Picasso if you are competing in his area? However, that was Pollock's style of art. What could he have done? I don't think there was anything he could do except focus on his own work. The pressure of being recognized and the attempt to compete with Picasso must have screwed with his brain which really sucks. Its nothing profound but I guess the main point I got from class was, Originality: Very Important!

No comments:

Post a Comment