Monday, May 2, 2011

Marcel Duchamp

Duchamp was a famous post-impressionism artist. Many of his works reminded me of Picasso and that Cubism type of art. I thought this piece was particularly interesting. It is called, “Portrait of Chess Players.” Duchamp was fascinated with chess and cubism.

This painting is cool because it looks three-dimensional. It looks like everything is directed at the center of the image. In the middle we can see chess pieces. We can see faces and art pieces all mixed in throughout the piece. I think Duchamp created this piece to show his two loves, cubism and chess. It is an interesting piece because it appears as though he took two different images and put them on top of each other. I don’t believe this piece has anything to do with his normal “anti-war” demonstrations. I just think he created this piece in a time in his life when he liked chess.


No comments:

Post a Comment