Friday, April 22, 2011

Farm Lab

My trip to Farm Lab was kind of a disappointment. I went there on a Friday at noon just like we were suppose to. Unfortunately, I found out that they no longer have the guest speakers or any kind of activities on Friday afternoons. They haven't done that since around August, 2010. In fact, there weren't even that many people there. So I just basically walked around and took some pics. There were some interesting things on display. I found out that they have been working on a few different projects at farm lab. Their art projects usually have something to do with preserving society or the Earth. Their "farm project" was when they spent a a few years drawing the toxins out of the ground in the plot of land that they purchased. The car in the picture below also represents an urban garden. Taking an old beat up car and making it into a garden.

It was somewhat difficult finding the farmlab because it was off in a corner with no real signs showing where it was. This sign that said "Not A Cornfield" was the only way I knew how to go. It was kind of in an underground parking area.

I liked the sign that said, "Artists need to create on the same scale that society has the capacity to destroy." This reminded me of the post-impressionism movement a little bit. Wars and pollution are destroying our world and artists need to create artwork that negates that. Art that brings life while these other things are bringing death.








No comments:

Post a Comment